Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Coffee


Anyone who knows me knows I love coffee. I mean I really love coffee. I have my first cup as soon as I wakeup and it's my final drink before I go to sleep, with many inbetween. It's never decaf! It is my beverage of choice almost always. Maybe I'll have a glass of wine with dinner, or vodka & tonic with lots of limes on a weekend night, but dinner always ends with coffee, and most of the time those weekend nights do too. A shot of Bailey's may be added to the coffee on those weekend nights.


I have been a coffee drinker long before Starbucks was a destination, and way before tall, grande, and venti were words in our everyday vocabulary. I have not gone the way of Mochas, Lattes or Espressos with a pump here and foam there. No, not me. Bring me straight, dark roast, colombian coffee with a splash of cream and plenty of sugar. I began my coffee drinking career in New England, where when you said "I'll have a regular coffee", you got a medium sized cup of coffee with cream and sugar. That was nice.


Now to my reason for writing this detailed description of my coffee consumption history and habits. I was reading an article in a magezine titled "Six Surprising Antiagers", and coffee drinking was one of the surprises. A study suggests if you have high energy (which I do), and can tolerate 3-5 cups of coffee per day (which I can and do) you will have a reduced risk of dementia.


So Ha! to all of you who think I drink too much coffee. I will remember your names long after you forget mine.


Now off to find a study of the benefits of chocolate.....

4 comments:

  1. I live for coffee in the morning. Or rather, I won't live without it in the morning. A sign on my desk reads, "Give me some coffee and no one will get hurt."

    So true. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm like you, in that I don't go for all that fancy stuff. Straight up regular coffee.

    I only drink about two cups a day though. And I forget sooo much. Maybe I should add another cup?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good reason to eat dark chocolate, it burns belly fat! Not sure if this is in fact true, but I read it somewhere, so that is the excuse I tell myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm. Coffee, strong and black. I've never been to Starbucks, never had a latte. But now Keli makes me crave the dark chocolate with my next cup.

    ReplyDelete